Sunday, July 23, 2006

Am I or Ain't I?

Since Chloe came along a week plus ago, things have so far been relatively ok. A lot of friends and relatives have asked me how JD had cope with a new bub on the block. My responses have so far been positive.

True, it has by far been a positive experience. But have there been some frustrating moments? Of course there have been, but I just prefer not to dwell on them too much. Have I had to discipline him when he is out of line too much? Or should I let him carry on just because he resents not being the only child anymore? What happens when he constantly misbehaves when I already told him not to?

I still stick to my principle - Discipline when he has been given a warning. Whether that be spending 2 minutes at his "quiet chair" to think about his actions and to cool it off or giving him a stern warning.

Some people might disagree with my actions, saying I am too harsh. Am I? Yes, I don't joke around when I discipline. By that I mean, speaking in a serious tone, following through my actions. I don't raise my hands on my kid, but I get him to think and reflect on his actions. And when he had calm down, we sit down, apologise and have a cuddle again.

The thing is I know there will be people out there whom will disagree with my style of parenting. I don't praise my kid for his wrong action, hoping he would snap out of it, you know reverse psychology. Kids are clever. They are constantly testing the limit. And as long as he is aware I have limits and boundaries, the chances of any tantrums can be quickly and easily resolved.

And most of the time, the storm blow over in just a few minutes.

2 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

No problem with your method.
Be confident.

JJ

Sunday, July 23, 2006  
Blogger Vegie said...

Guess as long as you balance with an equal dose of compliments and praises when he does good things, it will be juuussst ffffinnne

Tuesday, July 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home