Thursday, October 05, 2006

I am dealing with...

The last week or so have been rather turbulent. Yes, I am dealing with the "Terrible Threes" syndrome. Just last night, I had to deal with a 3 yo tantrums for almost 3 hours on my own. Constantly I found myself dealing with his tantrums, whining, screaming, shouting, crying, refusing what I offered him, then only to change back his mind, crying in the middle of the street so to make me feel uneasy...and the list goes on and on.

I was almost holding onto my last nerve last night. Holding myself together, but with my head pounding from just sheer exhaustion.

It's funny how these terrible stages would just come on out of nowhere.

Just a week ago, I found myself watching him with smiles and pride in my heart. Feeling so grateful for a wonderful little man he is. The little boy that would ask mommy for "Lots and lots and lots of kisses" and a "big cuddle" when he goes to bed. The cute brother that would hold his baby sister's hand in the car so that she won't cry. A protective brother that would rush to her cot singing "Rock a bye baby..." when he hears her cry. The little man that would remind me to watch out for cars when I cross the road with him. Telling me we must hold hands when walking. The helpful little boy that would help me to drag a heavy bag of groceries because I have my hands full.

A little boy that would turn around looking at me and says "Thank you for my Mommy!"

Those are the days when I feel like things are great. I have smiles on my face. Telling the husband everything is under control when he rings. When I beamed with pride of what a lovely little boy he is.

And then just as sudden as the tantrums started, I began to wonder what a monster I have created. Maybe I have been too harsh sometimes. Too much TV perhaps. Far too many treats and surprises. I have scolded him too harshly on the weekend. I haven't been sensitive to his emotional needs. He felt left out. I haven't spend enough one-on-one time with him.

You start to run these thoughs through and through and began to review everything again. Perhaps changing my techniques. Surfing through the internet reading up about the 3 years olds.

And kids are sooooo smart. They know when we are in doubt of ourselves. When we feel less that confident of ourselves. Uh huh, that's when they flash their manipulative sticks at us again.

Ah, I am not going to fall for that trap. I am not going to give in.

Today I am packing a picnic basket with tuna sandwiches, apples, mandarins, rice crackers, some water n juices to the park.

Hoping for a better day with the beautiful sunshine.

6 Comments:

Blogger Vegie said...

I guess bringing up kids is just like creating a piece of art - a sheer labour of love. When I paint there are good days and bad days. There are times that I just feel like discarding it and start a very different one. There are moments when I enjoy every moment of it.

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Irene said...

good call on the picnic. Your little family deserves a fun outing. And don't be too harsh on yourself. You are doing your absolute best and I know it!

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger JJ said...

If you don't hope to have perfect performance you will survive better. When things don't go very go, go alow or expect less, rest a while to regain energy and confidence. Eat well and rest early.

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger cat_aunty said...

That's right! Don't give in! This is all about discipline. Now they are just trying to see how far they can go. If you give in, you really will end up with a monster.

Saturday, October 07, 2006  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Thank u all 4 your encouragement. As I hear my little one sings all the time "I m the champion"...I shall claim that too.

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Christine Lim said...

I can totally relate to this "terrible 3" syndrome. My two year nine months who will be three in Jan, started to insert her independence on me a few weeks ago. The old angel is now history! I am becoming more firm with her, putting her in her room, for time out as I go along. Let's hang in there together. The good news is that both of our kids are growing into their own little person, having their own mind. And at least the other is still reasonably well behaved!

Hugs! Keep us posted.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home