Saturday, April 22, 2006

Back from holiday

We had been away the last 2 weeks, flying to Melbourne for a holiday. It was an impromptu decision made back in March when Qantas put up a cheap fare. Before flying off to Mel, I had a great fear. My fear factor was replaying the image of JD tearing down the plane, crying, being difficult, just like the previous time when we flew back to Singapore. That time, it was hell - nothing I did could calm him down, he cried and carried on for almost the entire trip. That was one year ago.

This time round, I prepared him for the trip once I knew we were going to Melbourne. I started talking to him about holiday, about aeroplane, seizing every opportunity to spot a plane on the sky and telling him all about aeroplane. In the beginning, all the responses I got was "No, I don't want aeroplane". I thought "Oh Shit" to myself that the flight will be a nightmare again.

Days after days, weeks after weeks, finally the few days before departure, he started getting excited seeing me packing the bags and etc. But what got him excited was seeing all the little treasures I have packed in my backpack. There were fruit salads, jelly, Playdoh, fruits bar, biscuits, little toy cars, new crayons, new colouring book, new story book, Wiggles activity book and etc etc. Mind you though, that backpack alone consisted of all his treasures. At this age (2.5 yo), he loves to ask questions and kept asking me "Mommy, what you doing?" "What's the bag for?" etc etc and that gave me a great opportunity to explain all the goodies were for the aeroplane. Then ta da, it clicked! He started jumping up and down "Yay, I am going on aeroplane".

So, how did we go on this trip?

Day 1 - Perth to Melbourne

All packed, and excited, my BIL dropped us off at the airport. All self checked in, which was all cool. But wait, here's a twist. 5 minutes before boarding, my BIL rang my mobile to say he couldn't start our car which he had borrowed and was stuck somewhere in North Perth. So I thought maybe it was the battery or something else. Then after a few confusing conversations, we realised that he hasn't got the key to disalarm the car. Shit shit shit was all hubby could say, and was swearing at himself that he may have given his bro the wrong key. What to do, time is running out, my BIL was stuck somewhere in North Perth and we had to board the plane. In this sort of situation, one had to remain calm. So I traced back the steps, and figured out maybe my BIL has taken the other set of key without the car alarm. So rang his wife, asked her to check the keys and realised my BIL has left it at home. Phew, if not we would need to get DHL Express to courier over a spare set the next day.

The flight to Mel was EXCELLENT! JD was all I was hoping him to be. Happy, contended, no drama. He loved his airline food, got a little gift from the hostess, pretend listening to the inflight music, did some colourings with his new crayon, make friends with the little girl sitting in front of us and before we knew, we have arrived in Melbourne!

The best bit for JD on the flight was the big Cornetto ice cream for dessert! It might be too much for him, but heck, whatever to keep him happy :) And I even managed to watch a movie, wow!


Hub and I finally breathed a big sigh of relief!

It was cold in Melbourne that night and we checked into an Easystay self-serviced apartment in St.Kilda. I was hungry but it was 9.30pm when we got there. So hubby walked up the street to get some kebabs for us which I wiped out in a few seconds.

That night 3 of us slept together like a log in a king size bed, bliss!

More updates of the trip still to come...

3 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

Hahaha you are a great educator about travelling and aeroplane.
The next suitable toy could be a set of parts for Jd to fix an aeroplane.

JJ

Saturday, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Vegie said...

Wow we... you are using your marketing communication skill to the max ! I am wondering now the storyline for his new brother/sister...and how you going to pack in his bagpack...

Sunday, April 23, 2006  
Blogger cat_aunty said...

Good to hear things went well

Sunday, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home