Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Scare tactic...NOT!

I brought the kids out this afternoon to get some groceries. Along the way, I stopped by at a shop hoping to get some vegies. And we bump into this Asian lady whom was friendly at first but soon turned into my joke of the day! Luckily I was in a rather humorous mood, and wasn't offended by the conversation.

This was our conversation with this Asian lady at the shop about Chloe and what I think my little baby girl must have be thinking as the Asian lady rattle on in Mandarin.

唉哟妹妹,你的脸为何红红的?

妈妈说因为我还小,有时因为天气热,皮肤会痒。

所以就红红咯!

可是老Aunty说,

妹妹脸红红是因为妈妈没给她搽 cream!

还说是妈妈的手有 “poison”,

所以有搽cream,妹妹的皮肤也是痒!

我看老Aunty有点“something wrong” 吧!

You see, I have noticed that the elderlies at times like to use silly stories to frighten us. Come on, I am not a first time mom, well, 2nd time mom, but I am not stupid to believe her old wives tales!

And the English version of the above conversation, and speaking in an Asian accent:

Old lady: "Eh, why your baby's face so red red ah?"

Me: "Oh, she has a bit of eczema and the heat makes her more prone to it"

Old lady: "You got put cream or not? Eh, your cream good one or not?"

Me: "Oh yeah, as prescribed by her pediatrician"

Old lady: "Ummm, u know what, I think hor, is because your hands got poison lah. So hor, even you apply cream for her, the poisons on your hand also make her skin red red you know!"

Me: "Ummm, is that right?"

She makes my day because I have never laughed so hard at someone's silly idea and she said it with such conviction! But then just imagine if that was someone else suffering from anxiety or slight depression, that person would have been heartbroken.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vegie said...

Muahahahahaha...I can imagine the mischevious grin when you say "Hmmmm is that right ? "

Wednesday, December 20, 2006  
Blogger cat_aunty said...

Wah piang, I would have given her a BIG piece of my mind!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Irene said...

hahaha. YOu should have insisted on shaking her hand, so to pass off your poison.

Thursday, December 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home