Monday, January 29, 2007

Another milestone for JD

JD started his 3 year old pre-kindergarten today.

Over here, compulsory schooling is not required till the children turns four. As JD was born in August, he would have to wait till 2008 before he can starts official schooling.

The pre-kindy is just to help him settle into a school environment, let him interact with kids of his age and getting used to listening, instructions and maybe a bit of a rest for his mommy, haha.

So I have been preparing him for this day. We borrowed books from the library about children's first day at school. We walked past his school every day when we go for our morning walks. We packed his school bag together. We talked about the activities, games he would have fun with. We went for the open day last week and met his teachers. Pretty much I talked to him about school every single freakin' day!

I was a bit nervous myself last night. I expected some tears from him as he has been on a month's break from daycare while his caregiver went on holidays. We have been spending lots of wonderful times together and I imagined it might be hard for him. And by the way, his mommy used to cry all the time when she started P1.

This morning, he woke up loudly exclaimed "Let's go to school!". He put on his red kindy shirt, blue pants, Bob the Builder's undies, a pair of new red sandals he chose for himself, put his little backpack on his shoulder. He had his toast and was ready. I wasn't sure. I hope he was really ready. We were the first one there, and we sat quietly on the bench while we waited for the door to open.

JD being JD, is an outdoor boy. He dashed off to the sandpit once he went in. I had to bring him back in as kindy always start with story and puzzle time on the mat. After 5 mins of mat time, I really had to go, I gave him a kiss and he cried with the biggest drop of tears "I want mommy!!!". I left him to the teachers and calmly but painfully walked out of the classroom.

I came back 10 mins later and I didn't hear any kid howling. I gathered it was fine.

So I did my errands. Went to the post office. Went to get a police clearance check. Did some groceries shopping. Saw my chiro. 2 hrs later I went back to pick him up.

At 11.30am, the teacher opened the door, she called out the kid's name one by one as they came to the door. Some kids were happy. Some were a bit teary. Some looked a bit lost.

As for mine. He walked out looking slightly puzzled but rather pleased to see me again.

The teacher said to me "He did really well". Smiles. I felt really proud of him as he showed me his wet chalk and water colour paintings. He said to me "Mommy I cried because I wanted you". And I said to him "Yes, I know, but I will always be back to pick you up!". And he was happy. And the next thing he said "Mommy I am hungry". That would be my boy.


7 Comments:

Blogger Little Impala said...

Good job, big boy JD! He is so brave! Nikita cried for almost a month!

Monday, January 29, 2007  
Blogger Vegie said...

Wow brave mommy that you could walk out calmly albeit painfully. So many of my friends turned completely marshmallows on their kids' 1st day at school... You go Harimau ! You may be proud of JD, but Aunty W is proud of you !

Monday, January 29, 2007  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Thanks all. Yes, I hope JD continues to be brave and won't cry for mommy anymore when he goes to kindy next.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Irene said...

Waaah! I think I'm going to cry for JD! Attaboy. I'm getting emotional just reading. Alamak

Tuesday, January 30, 2007  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Irene, the thing is mommy also wanna cry too. But dare not do it in front of her little man. As I was typing down this entry, I also felt a bit of tears welling up in the eyes, silly me!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007  
Blogger jean said...

JD will be alright after a few days. No worries. He'll be toughened thru this and grow up to be a strong boy. Keep it up, Mommy JD!

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a brave boy! JD is 6 months younger than Qianyi but braver than her...

Monday, February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home