Thursday, January 18, 2007

Speaking Mandarin

Recently, Crazy Mommy asked me why I am speaking more Mandarin to Chloe. The reason is because I really want my kids to grow up knowing another language and that Chinese is also part of their origin. I grew up learning 3 languages, Chinese, English and Malay.

My husband is an Australian born Chinese, and he speaks limited Cantonese and no Mandarin. My in laws migrated from HK over 30 years ago but my MIL still speaks very little English till this day. I know a bit of Cantonese from watching the HK movies when I was a kid. After I got married, I found it difficult to communicate with my in laws as I was struggling with my Cantonese and likewise they (esp. my MIL) were struggling with English. Over the years, I have become quite fluent in Cantonese.

But then I really miss speaking Mandarin. I like the sound of it. I am always on the lookout for someone that can speak the language, whether it be my colleague, a friend, the shop owner at the Asian grocery store, the old aunty at the supermarket struggling witn English and looking for someone that knows Mandarin.

Or sometimes eavesdropping on someone's juicy conversation :)

Mainly. I always feel such joy and satisfaction when I find someone that can speak the language.

Sometimes I wish my husband can speak and learn Mandarin, but after all these years, he has only picked up 我爱你 and 你好吗? Recently I also started to type in "pin yin" and I found so much joy and satisfaction when I could type up word by word in Mandarin.

I look forward to the months ahead when I can start printing up Chinese flash cards for Chloe and JD.

With that thought, I became more motivated to pass on this language to my kids. I was a bit slack with JD when I didn't cultivate the habit of speaking Mandarin to him. Whilst it's never to late to introduce the language to him, I wish I have started when he was just an infant.

So I am becoming more diligent with Chloe. I speak to her everyday in Madarin, hoping she will pick up this beautiful language and hoping this will instill an interest in JD as well.

And I look forward to the days when I can have a conversation with my kids in Mandarin. Maybe one day when they both sit on the kitchen barstool, telling me about their days in school while I prepare meals in the kitchen : )

Because that was what I used to do as a kid when my mom came from from work and siting in the kitchen talking to her about who's naugthy in school, who got a detention, who did what, what the teachers did and etc etc

4 Comments:

Blogger jean said...

Being able to speak more than 1 languages are always good. Be it communicating with families, friends, colleagues... if one is able to speak a language that is close to your heart, you will feel more closer to this person.

Mandarin songs is a good option, they listen and follow in singing :)

Friday, January 19, 2007  
Blogger Phoebe said...

We are in the same boat! I didn't diligently converse in mandarin with Tim and he cannot really understand the language now and the sound of the words just puts me off! For Shanice, somehow, teaching the language comes more naturally. She cant really speak yet but she understands me when i speak to her in mandarin.

I do agree that songs could be introduced to them and they will pick up the language easier :) Take practise as well :)

Friday, January 19, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

My husband didn't speak Mandarin at all. He's from KL, can speak beautiful English and Malay and fluent Cantonese but not Mandarin. He tried to learn Mandarin when he started dating me. But he said it's a difficult language to learn. He can speak some broken Mandarin now but can't write and read. So, we should let our kids start learning Mandarin as soon as possible. Keep your effort going!:)

Monday, January 22, 2007  
Blogger Little Impala said...

加油! I know you will see the result of your hardwork soon. :)

By the way, it is definitely easier to teach them Mandarin through Chinese songs. Do try it. :)

Sunday, January 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home