Sunday, January 14, 2007

Guns n Not so rosy

One of my biggest dilemas came knocking on my door today. JD went to visit his mama (his paternal grandmother) and he came back with this.

Hmph, it was one of those difficult situations for me when I try very hard trying not to introduce toys of that nature to him. Guns, swords, pistols or anything of that nature, I do my best to avoid it. I constantly warn him when I hear him running around "pretend playing" with shooting.

But what would you do in situation like this? I know it was a gift from his grandmother, but it was against my own set of rules, and I know sometimes my MIL and I have different opinions about raising kids or boys in general. On other hand the child was crazily happy with the new gift.

Can I take it away from him and said it's our house rule that we don't play with guns?

Or maybe I can ask him to put it away?

Or maybe get him to pretend that it is something else other than guns. What's the point?

Or just hide it away when he is asleep and hoping he forgets it. Too mean? Too coward?

Or advice my MIL the appropriate toys for his age.

But my son has got the memory of an elephant. He remembers everything! Hiding it wouldn't solve the problem.

So eventually, I sat down with him. I talk to him like I would talk to an adult. Telling him that mommy doesn't agree in playing with guns, though it's a special present from his grandma. Telling him that we always have this policy at home "No pushing, no pulling, no hitting, no shooting and etc etc". It's the same when mommy said "We play toys, but we don't play guns".

After a good talk, I let him kept his present in his drawer as he wouldn't let me put it away. So I did. But did he understand my talk? I wasn't sure but glad I have explained it all to him.

A few hours later, my MIL rang about something else. My husband answered the phone but JD wanted to talk as he knew that was his mama.

And this was what he said to his mama: "Mama, please don't give me guns anymore. Because I can hit Chloe and hurt her."

I think he understood it all. I didn't have to say anything to my MIL.

5 Comments:

Blogger Eternal Sunshine said...

You watch next time MIL buy him a 'palang-to'.

Sunday, January 14, 2007  
Blogger cat_aunty said...

Yeah, 屠龙刀, those with flashing lights and sounds

Monday, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Vegie said...

muahahahaha all these crazy aunties... like to "add oil to fire"

Monday, January 15, 2007  
Blogger jean said...

Oh silly me! I actually tear when I read what your boy has said to his grandma. He is a very sensible boy. Thank God your boy understood your kind intention and explained it to his grandma. That would lessen your conflict with her.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Bok choy - Yes, i remeber your sword. You love it so much. But one day it was borken and we tried to fix it with masking tape, but still to no avail :)

Jean - Yeh, JD can sometimes be very understanding. Sometimes I make the mistake of jumping to conclusion too quick with him before understanding his good intention behind his actions. With the recent story, I felt really comforted knowing his ability to comprehend my explanations.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home