Saturday, November 05, 2005

let's celebrate

Well, why are we celebrating? Tuesday is actually my MIL's 60th birthday! Now, 60th to me is a big thing, only come around once in a life time and should be celebrated. Now, my MIL is
strange little person. She comes in a small package, but full of characters, some I admire, some drives me totally insane, some I just scratch my head but many more I go along with and accept. Afterall, we are all different individuals.

Now before we talk about the celebration, here's a conversation with my MIL a few days ago:

Me: Hi mum, is your brithday on Tue, 60th leh, must celebrate eh!
MIL: What for? Nothing to celebrate one.
Me: Oh why? Is a good thing, celebrate where you have been and the future ahead wah!
MIL: Don't want!!!! I don't way anything!!!
Me: Ok ok, what upsets you now?
MIL: Nothing, you know, I tired you know...wake up 4am do this to that.
Me: Errr, ok, I call back later yah!
MIL: Ok ok, you guys want to celebrate, then celebrate lor, do what you like, I don't care!
Me: Puzzled look over the phone..

Hung up!

Feeling puzzled and confused, talked to hub, and he said "Mum getting old, sometimes a bit strange". Ok but 60 is not that old.

So, waited a while, I was brave enough to ring back (deserve a bravery medal for this ok) and thought I would do it another way...

Buzz!!!!

Me: Mum, hey, you know, is your brithday next week and we just want to celebrate for you ok. And you don't need to be so angry, we just want to do something nice for you. Is that ok?

Funny enough, she changed her tone

MIL: Ok then, thank you.
Me: Good, I will see you at the restaurant.

My MIL is not the easiest person to please. She has a high expectation of people around her and for herself. She came from HK some 30 years ago and was brought up in a difficult environment when they had to fight for a basic survival. That became her, and instilled in her a "never say die" attitude towards life till this day. She strive for the best, for her family when they were young, making sure there is a stable and comfortable road ahead of them. She keeps herself constantly busy, and dislikes sitting still. Sometimes I wish she could take a breather and chill out! Sometimes I wish she could take some time out and do meditation or tai chi, but to her that's "sai hei" (in Cantonese - wasting away your energy).

Bringing her out to a restaurant is also a challenging task, coz she can a bit of a food critic. So, as you can imagine, I was squeezing every bits of my head trying to think of a decent Chinese restaurant but with not an exorbitant price tag to it. MIL won't be happy if we bring her to an expensive classy place. I think that's because she feels bad to see us spending lots of money to bring her out more than the fact that it is a classy and expensive place.

Finally I settled for a Chinese restaurant called Foo Gwai that is reasonably price but with good food. We had...

- Snow crab with black pepper
- Steamed fresh barramundi with ginger and shallots
- Long life noodle with chicken and chinese mushroom
- Fragant chicken with chilli and vinegar sauce
- Kai Lan with garlic

Now, I am quite relieved to say MIL was pretty happy with the meal and did not whinge a bit. Then, I also bought her a cake from her favourite HK cake shop. So, she got to be happy with that.

Hallelujah, for once MIL is happy, ha ha ha, I am laughing! And I have done my bits as a DIL! Mission accomplished!

3 Comments:

Blogger cat_aunty said...

Happy birthday ah po!

Tuesday, November 08, 2005  
Blogger JJ said...

Well done Prisc.

JJ

Tuesday, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Vegie said...

Bravo, bravo ! Good on you, Harimau

Vegie

Thursday, November 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home