Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Boys + Testosterone = TROUBLE

Now, is it just my boy or is it the common curiosity of boys or kids in general with KEYS and LOCKS!

My little man is fascinated with keys and locks. He loves keys of all sorts, car keys, house keys, padlocks, toy keys, anything that he could lock and open over again and again. When he was little, around the 16-18 months age, he was even more obsessed with keys. His daycare teacher used to see him heading straight for the kid's parents set of car keys when he saw them arriving to pick up their children, and he would sit on the floor admiring every single piece of keys!

The thing is JD has a good memory and quite observant in what we do around the house. He knows where I put the keys and how to unlock the front door of the house. He demands to lock the front door when we go out, though I insist I would lock up the house. It becomes a battle sometimes! It's stupid!

I became so worried of him unlocking the front door that I have to put the deadlocks on even when we are at home.

His whole fascination with keys and locks came to a standstill for me the last few days.

The little monkey has taken and hidden a set of keys for the garden shed. I realised the set of keys were gone when I tried looking for it on Sunday and whilst I initially suspected my preggie brain could have something to do with me forgetting and misplacing things....I soon realised it wasn't ME afterall. Honestly, I searched through the entire house, garden, garage, digging around the soil in my pot plants, crawling on all fours ... and after countless laps around the house, I thought to ask this little monkey.

Me: JD, have you taken mommy's keys?
JD: No, I don't know
Me: Ok, it has a green tag on the keys, have you seen it?
JD: Oh, I know, there, there....
Me: Ok, good, where is it, show mommy
JD: I don't know

ARRRRRGGGGGH! Deep breathing, mommy!

And just as I slumped myself onto the sofa almost with my head spinning, this little monkey reached into his pocket and handed me a set of keys! YES, that bloody set of keys I have been looking everywhere for! Arrrghhhhh, I SO wanted to smack him but ahhh, after counting to 10, I got down to his level, looked him in the eyes and told him with a very straight face NEVER NEVER to play with my keys again.

Now, as I thought that was over, guess what happened on Monday morning 5 mins before we had to leave the house!

HE LOCKED HIMSELF IN THE TOILET! YES, I REPEAT, LOCKED HIMSELF IN THE TOILET!

Arggghhhhhh! This has been one of my worst fears and just the night before I was telling hubby we needed to change the door handle in the toilet in case JD locked himself in there. Well, it happened! Yes, my worst fear came true! And JD knew it the moment he locked himself in. He was calling out "MOMMY. LOCKED. STUCK!"

Now, having never attempted any serious crime before, I had no idea of how to open a door with credit card! I rang hubby at work and he guided me using a screwdriver to open the door. That didn't work. So, at the end, I spent 30 mins telling this monkey how to unlock the door. After much wait and patience, he did it and stood at the door smiling at me!

This time, I was SO angry and SO wanted to smack him! Did he know how scared I was? With a big belly hanging out of me, totally tired and emotional.....and putting up with all his monkey tricks! I just wanted to cry and walked away then!

But, I managed to pull myself together, took a deep breath, counting 1 to 10, and gently but very seriously told him NEVER EVER TO LOCK THE DOOR AGAIN!

FULLSTOP!

And he said "Sorry mommy" and gave me a hug!

3 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

Ou dear! got to servey all the locks and see how to avoid that again until he is mature enough.May be you need to copy all your keys and keep the whole batch somewhere he doesn't know.This is common to young kids. He is of course quite clever too, so don't be too upset. He is lucky that you know how to cont 10.

JJ

Tuesday, June 27, 2006  
Blogger Priscilla said...

For the moment I have super-taped all the toilet door handles until hub changes them on weekend. In the mean time, JD is lucky. I have no rotan and I don't intend to ever use it ever on my child's childhood...but he does it again, he is going to sit on his naugthy chair for 1 whole day!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Vegie said...

Aiya this boy, still got the cheek to call out "Mommy.locked.stuck". At least he knows trouble when he smells one. Actually quite clever.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home