Monday, June 25, 2007

BLUE

Last week we were into everything BLUE! Somehow, somewhat, for some unknown reasons, we were all a bit disoriented. I had everything planned from Mon to Fri , but ended up we spent most of the week doing Playdough!

I had put down Playdough as one of the activities. So we made a fresh batch of blue playdough taken from this site. JD just wanted to do Playdough and so we did. Sometimes it's better to let him drive the interest than me trying to make him follow what I have planned. Well, within reasonable limit anyway.

Then he wanted to do racing cars! He woke up one morning and said "Today, I want to do everything with racing cars!" I really was scratching my head for idea until JD prompted me to turn on my laptop looking for a picture for him to colour! Ah! Initially he had wanted to colour the whole car in RED. Nothing wrong with it, but I am also trying to encourage him to try something BLUE. It was a big effort for him to stay away from red and coloured part of his car in blue.


JD is usually better with water paint. With crayons or colour pencils, he tends to lose the interest a lot quicker, and when he is bored with it, he will usually colour the whole picture in one colour and more often than not it will be red. Like this.
But along the way, we get to learn about 蓝色, 蓝天. Then we sidetracked and talked about the weather, the storm and some story JD made up about aliens coming to visit us on a stormy day :)

Then JD got an idea. He wanted to cut out shapes of strawberries. So we went further and he asked to cut out lots of blueberries using some red, green and blue craft paper. He is almost able to cut out a circle, but he needs a bit of help to finish it off. While JD was cutting, I noticed that he is still deciding between his right and left hands. He usually paint, draw, eat with his left hand, but he is more comfortable using scissors with his right hand.

But what got JD really excited was making a Blueberry Buttercake. He was almost jumping out of his skin when he knew we were going to get some blueberries from the shop. There he was, happily pouring in a cup of flour, sugar, eggs.



And happiest holding a bowl of blueberries!

While making the cake, JD learned about 糖, 牛奶, 腼粉, 鸡蛋. Then I refreshed his memory of counting and he could still remember 一,二,三,四, 五, 六, 七,八,九,十! One thing though, I have no idea what blueberry is in Mandarin? Anyone?
The best thing though, we all get to have some delicious morning tea.

We don't often get the fresh blueberries here. So we usually get the frozen ones. But the frozen blueberries and strawberries have become quite a healthy snack for the kids when they feel like something sweet or icy! JD loves it!

As for Chloe, well, she has now claimed the green chair that once belonged to her brother. Each time we sit down at the craft table, she will climb onto the chair and sat herself comfortably there. Most of the time, she was more interested in grabbing the basket of fruits and giving them a lick! Just as well they are pretend fruits!

7 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

JD is so keen on learning. Good for him. I really must start prepping Hailey too. And Chloe is such a little monkey. I like that she knows how to claim a chair already. Hee hee.

Monday, June 25, 2007  
Blogger LiL'deviL said...

I like that picture of Bob that JD coloured...hehehe...Have you ever asked him why does he like the colour red before?

If you hadn't mention those were pretend fruits, I wouldn't know it looking at the first photo and was going to ask where did you get that beautiful white peach (I only see yellow peaches here).

Tuesday, June 26, 2007  
Blogger JJ said...

The dictionary gives some unfamiliar Chinese translation but I think the name should be 蓝莓。
Will check further and confirm.

JJ

Tuesday, June 26, 2007  
Blogger jean said...

Hi Pris, I had the same naming as JJ for the blueberry. Can't type chinese so hanyu pinyin is nan mei.

Yea, I was also wondering where you get such fresh fruits till I saw the fake banana that Chloe is grabbing :)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007  
Blogger jean said...

Oops sorry it should be lan mei.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007  
Blogger Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

chloe is just too cute! JD is very creative :P I cant help but notice how HUGE ur backyard is! and ur kitchen windows overlooking the backyard, magnificent view! My kitchen window overlooks the fence between us and the neighbour - the fence is about 2 metres away from our window :( And our backyard is puny!

Thursday, June 28, 2007  
Blogger bp said...

Always love such happy shots of your kids! JD's growing up fast, and even Chloe knows to pick her spot already at the dinner table!

Thursday, June 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home