Saturday, June 09, 2007

Where My Heart Is

Perth has been my home for almost the last 10 years.

Kelly recently asked me if Perth is a nice place - to me it is. It has been my home for the last 10 years, it still is, and I think it will be for a long time to come. I feel settled here now and I no longer have the itch of moving to another city.

I spent a big part of my life growing up in Brunei, I came to Perth to finish my high school and university, then went to Singapore to work for a couple of years. But I am a Malaysian, and still holding onto a Malaysian passport for other reasons. I have never really lived in Malaysia, except for going back to visit my parents and relatives.

Apart from that, Brunei was where I grew up, Perth was where I found a new sense of belonging, and where I met my husband. Singapore was a short 2 years stay but I struggled to find happiness when I was there. I found great difficulty adjusting to life in Singapore, and I knew my heart was not there. And more so, it was extremely trying to maintain a long distance relationship for 24 months and I only got to see him for a total of 24 days in that period!

Perth is a nice city. I like the feel of the city. The air is fresh and clean. It is spacious. It is quiet enough for me. There isn't the mad rush at all. Things move along in a nice pace. In the suburban area, it really is quiet even during the day time. Most people are off to work by 7am, kids start coming home from school by 3pm, and by 6pm, most people are home from work and spending time at home.

Whilst it suits me, it isn't everyone's idea too. Some people have found it too quiet. Shops are all shut by 6pm except once a week on Thursday night. The weekends are usually taken up by sports, kids activities, family picnic, home renovation, gardening, play at the park....

But living abroad also has its downside. In my case, my family are all back in Singapore or Malaysia. I am the only one here. So, I miss my family. And I feel it more since I have my 2 kids. I tend to rely a lot on the service of childcare, babysitter whenever I need a break, when I was working, or worst still when I am unwell or just needing someone to lend me a hand.

Then again, it is a conscious decision I made almost 10 years ago and one that I have learnt to accept and work with.

And I know that Perth is a place where my heart is. Hard it maybe at times with limited family around, but I know that if my mom could do it 40 years ago in Brunei bringing up 5 kids with no family around...... she would have instilled the same determination and courage in me to do the same.

Perth, I think is a great place to raise a family too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

brunei? Really? That's where I'm from!

Sunday, June 10, 2007  
Blogger kelly said...

Thanks Priscilla! The photos on your blog reminded me of Ramsay Street...I used to be a fan of "Neighbours" when I was in England. But Ramsay Street is actually in Melbourne ya? We are going to Melbourne soon. Hope to visit Perth too one day.. Do you like Melbourne? My brother has visited Melbourne and he likes the place very much. He said it's a wonderful place to retire.

Monday, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Ange said...

I can identify with you on this post. It can get pretty lonely esp when you have no close family and friends around. I guess that's when blogging comes in handy. You get to know that you're not alone in this.

Monday, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Pinky said...

I really like your blog. Is there much to do in Perth? How far away is Monkey Mia? I may bring my toddler to Perth next year for a short hol although I would really like to go back to Sydney for my bi-annual holidays but I dunno whether I can manage an active toddler on an 8 hour flight..

Monday, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

Well written! I've heard a lot of good things abt perth and hope to be able to see it some day. wish i live in perth coz then i'd be flying back to kl every 6 months at least hehe

Monday, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Vegie said...

Hey, I think JD is gonna be very handsome when he grows up...and as for my little Miss C ....er ...well...

Saturday, June 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home