Sunday, June 10, 2007

Parenting Challenged

I thought I have put that incident to rest. But my parenting role was being challenged again. My MIL decided to buy JD a toy machine gun this time. She very well know my stand on this. No guns, no swords, no pretend shooting, no killing whatever ... I know it probably is a natural instinct of boys at times to play guns and swords. But I am still against it, and JD knows that very well. And when I couldn't prevent it, I always make sure it is kept to a minimum. JD knows it well, because we would have walked past a toy aisle in the shop with guns countless times, and that I have said NO each time to getting a gun for him.

My MIL knows my stand on this, but yet she decided to ignore it, and satisfy her own desire of pleasing her grandchild. My husband and I have said to her many times not to get it.

But how could a 3.5 yo contain his joy when he sees that gift? That his grandma has promised him a surprise present he has been patiently waiting for all night. My heart wrenched when I saw that. I felt hurt. I felt dissapointed. I was lost for words. I wasn't happy.

But I still reminded JD to observe his manners, by thanking his grandma for the surprise.

He was elated. He said he loves it. He said he has always wanted one. He couldn't stop playing it all night. In the morning, I was woken up by the sound of the machine gun. My head was going crazy with the sounds of the machine gun firing away, at the same time a baby crying for a feed, the kettle boiling away, me trying to fix breakfast for myself and the 2 kids, hubby watching the morning news in the background...

I thought about it this morning and I made the decision to have a word with my MIL. Sometimes, things need to be said for it to be taken seriously.

And I did. She happened to come by again this afternoon. I said that as parents, me and Phil, we are very much against children playing with guns, swords or ammunition of any sorts. It was nice that as a grandparent, she knew what would bring joy to JD. As a parent, I totally understand her heart and intentions. However, I also made a point to say that this would be the first and last "ammunition" toys she would get for JD or any of my kids in the future.

The intention was right, but just not the gift. A bit like advertising at times!

I hope my words on this matter have been taken seriously this time. Because parenting is made harder when we are not consistent. Because I felt once again I have to justify my own parenting decision. Because parenting is hard it is at times, and I don't need to be thrown another surprise again.

So I hope I have put this matter to rest and that my words have been taken seriously. Because I was serious when I said what I said.

I don't wish to take a pic of the machine gun, because I don't even wish to glorify it!

Anyway, that said, I know I will look back on this matter one day and have a good laugh!

3 Comments:

Blogger jean said...

Hi Pris, hope you are feeling better now. I understand perfectly what you are going thru. At times, our parenting ways do get challenged and I'm glad you have spoken to your in-law to get it right.

Thanks for sharing!

Monday, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Vyvy said...

I know how you feel... time and again.. my MIL will go against my parenting method... and will teach my son exactly the opposite...

I've lost count how many times we challenged each other on this...

U did a great job in handling the situation. Don't despair.

Monday, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Little Impala said...

I'm glad that you choose to talk to your MIL and make know to her your stand. Sometimes I think old folks are just like children themselves, they need a lot of reminders.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home